New Delhi, The Central government on Saturday lifted the 48-hour ban imposed on Friday on two Malayalam news channels for reportage that could "enhance communal disharmony" across the country, sources said. The sources said the ban on the two channels was lifted early on Saturday. The channels were suspended for 48 hours over their coverage of last month's communal violence in Delhi, with the official orders saying they covered events on February 25 in a manner that "highlighted the attack on places of worship and siding towards a particular community".
In an order, the Information and Broadcasting ministry had said, "Channel's reporting on Delhi violence seems to be biased as it is deliberately focusing on the vandalism of CAA supporters. It also questions RSS and alleges Delhi Police inaction. Channel seems to be critical towards Delhi Police and RSS."
The ministry ordered the prohibition of transmission or re-transmission of Media One and Asianet News for 48 hours on any platform throughout India with effect from 1930 hours on Friday to 1930 hours on Sunday.
The Congress slammed the government over the suspension of Media One and Asianet News, calling the clampdown as "stifling of media freedom".